Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It's a glutenous world...

It's not easy having celiac in a gluten filled world! Often you feel like the only one in the world who could possibly understand what you are going through, especially when celiac can bring with it a whole host of other food sensitivities. It can take years to figure out what you can and can't eat and by the time you figure it out you are down to about 12 items that you can safely consume without any kind of a reaction. Even then you still have to be really careful, you have to cook everything yourself, so forget about going out to eat. I still go out but it gets a bit annoying explaining to people why you are not eating. "Oh but can't you just ask them to leave out the glucose?" Umm, it's gluten by the way, and no they are not going to just leave it out. Maybe we should start a public awareness campaign!

Having moved to Swift Current, Saskatchewan after years spent in Saskatoon, Toronto and Edmonton, I miss the availability and variety of gluten free products. I especially miss going to restaurants with gluten free menus. Il Fornello in Toronto made the greatest gluten free pizza. Now I am in Swift Current, Saskatchewan where gluten and celiac are foreign concepts to most people. Every day I drive by wheat fields that stretch out as far as the eye can see and wonder how I ended up with this disease, in the heart of wheat country no less.

Every day I learn something new about celiac, usually something read online by someone who has been living with celiac for longer than I have. I have been gluten free for 8 years now and feel that I would like to give back to those who are starting out on their gluten free adventure. I especially know that for anyone living in Swift Current this can be scary considering the lack of resources and awareness here in the city. I know there are others out there, I see them staring at the racks of gluten free flours, pastas and such in Nutters. And when I don't see them, I know they are there because often my favorite items are sold out! Someday hopefully we can get a chapter of the celiac association started here in Swift Current. But for now, I will just blog about my experiences, suggestions and hope that what I have to say may be of use to someone out there who is in the same situation as I am!

Here I am enjoying a fabulous Gluten Free Meal in Sage Chop House at the River Cree Resort and Casino in Edmonton!

No comments:

Post a Comment